Yolo County Library Programs Canceled through March 31, 2020
Yolo County Public Health is recommending the cancelation of non-essential programs to facilitate social distancing, which will help prevent further spread of COVID-19 in our community.Accordingly, the Library is canceling all non-essential programs, classes and events, including community use of meeting rooms, through March 31, 2020.Standard hours of operation will continue at all Yolo County Library branch locations and at the Archives facility.
“We are taking additional measures to ensure our facilities remain welcoming, safe and clean. This includes cleaning and sanitizing countertop surfaces and door handles and scheduling more frequent janitorial visits,” said Yolo County Librarian Mark Fink. “By visiting our website, https://yolocountylibrary.org, residents can access many of our services from the convenience of their home, including 24/7 accessto ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, fee payment and more.”Residents are encouraged to learn more about the recommendations issued by Yolo County Public Health regarding social gatherings.
Celebrate spring with the following programs held during the month of March at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
- March is Women’s History Month! In recognition of the centennial of the 19th Amendment, the 2020 theme celebrates women who fought for women’s right to vote in the United States; also honored are 20th and 21st century women who have continued the struggle (fighting against poll taxes, literacy tests, voter roll purges, and other more contemporary forms of voter suppression) to ensure voting rights for all. Check out our bibliography and display.
- March 5: Youth Literacy Winter Writing Contest, 3:30 p.m. Compete with your friends in the first Winter Writing Contest in Winters. Participants will be presented with four writing challenges to compete for the title of “Best Writer.” Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Registration is not required. Presented by the Davis Youth Literacy Project. This event replaces the regularly scheduled SUCCESS Afternoon Homework Help. For ages 6-12.
- March 5: Battle for the Ballot: A Speaker Series to Celebrate 100 Years of Women’s Suffrage, 6:00 p.m. Drawing from her new book, Peace on Our Terms, Sacramento State history professor Mona Siegel will examine American women’s battle for the vote through an international lens. Her talk will highlight why women’s activism in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East was critical to the final push for ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment in the United States.
- March 7 through April 18: In-N-Out Burger’s “Cover to Cover” Reading Program. Children (ages 4-12) are eligible to participate in this fun reading challenge and receive a free In-N-Out coupon. For additional details visit the library or call (530) 795-4955.
- March 14: Master Gardeners of Yolo County Workshop, 10:00 a.m. The Master Gardeners explain ways to make the most of your garden.
- March 19: Dia de los Niños / Dia de los Libros, 5:00 p.m. This is a free, multicultural program for the whole family featuring storytelling and a special performance by Keith Cary and Adolfo Valensuela. Participate in fun activities and receive a FREE book! Refreshments will be served.
- March 26: Aguas Frescas: Open Mic Night, 6:00 p.m. Share your talent, speak your poetry, and/or sing your heart out! Bring something to read, sing, or perform or just come to watch. Refreshing homemade Aguas Frescas and snacks will be served. Gifts given to all participants.
The following ongoing programs continue in March:
- Winters Community Library Teaching Garden: The School in Session Schedule to visit the garden is: Mondays: 1:30 to 6:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 1:40 p.m. to sundown; Wednesdays 11:35 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 1:40 p.m. to sundown; Saturdays: 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- 3D Printer Appointments Available: Sign up to use the 3D printer. Mondays: 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Wednesdays: 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Fridays: 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Saturdays: 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Contact the Library for more information.
- SUCCESS: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Tales for Tails: Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Needle Arts: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:00 p.m.
- Winters Casual Cribbage Club: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Margaret Parson’s Room or the Quiet Reading Corner.
- Winters Origami Club: Last Tuesday of the month at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m.
- Fiesta de Colores: An hour of arts and crafts on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Grupo de conversación en inglés / English Conversation Group: Jueves a las 6:00 p.m. / Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Libros y Chisme: 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
NOTICE: The WintersCommunity Library will be on School Break Schedule March 23 through 29 for spring recess with the following open hours (School Hours will resume March 30):
- Monday and Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday closed
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see Events calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.