What is Big Day of Giving?
Big Day of Giving is a 24-hour online giving challenge to support the work nonprofits that make our communities stronger. Winters Friends of the Library has set a goal for raising $35,000 this year to Refresh and Restock our Winters Community Library.
When is Big Day of Giving?
Big Day of Giving will be held on Thursday, May 5, 2022.
Why is this day of fundraising so important?
Winters Friends of the Library (WFoL) raises critical dollars in this 24-hour period and builds awareness and support for creating impactful opportunities to support our library, literacy, and community programs.
How will the funds be used?
2020 was a busy year for the library! Even though for much the year our library was not open to the public, library staff were working hard to provide services to the community. People at home in the pandemic were still checking out books—both physical and digital—and demand for online services skyrocketed. The library remains a crucial resource for literacy, lifelong learning, and connection to our community.
New or modified programs for 2020 included:
- Online requests and curbside pickup for books, magazines, and DVDs
- New book bundles for children delivered curbside
- 6318 new e-books and audiobooks added to the collection
- Videos in English and Spanish showing how to use digital library services
- Contactless free printing, copying and faxing
- Reference services by email
- Expanded online Story Time programs and community reading programs for children and adults
- Personalized reading recommendations
- New online ESL class with a focus on digital skills
- Mobile hotspot lending program for families with children in school who do not have internet access
Now library staff are planning new ways to enhance the physical set-up for social distancing and move safely back to public hours, while maintaining online options for those who need them.
Winters Friends of the Library provides financial support to help our library meet community needs. Over the past three years, WFoL has raised more than $70,000 on Big Day of Giving to fund enhancements in the children’s and teen’s areas of the library, improvements to the Library Teaching Garden, purchase of a 3-D printer, expanded educational and outreach programs, and new Spanish-language books and materials.
The heavy demand for digital materials and services during the pandemic illustrates the need for new additions to the library collection. Our goal for Big Day of Giving 2021 is to raise $25,000 to Refresh and Restock Our Library and Reconnect Our Community with library programs and services.. Please make a donation to help us meet our goal!
WFoL members: Please consider making a contribution on Big Day of Giving in addition to your annual membership gift. This is a separate fundraising effort and will fund library improvements above and beyond our usual level of support. Thank you!
How can you give?
Update: Generous donors contributed $20,000 in Matching Funds for the 2021 campaign!
Thank you to: Anonymous, Crowne Communities, First Northern Bank, Homes by Towne, Waste Management of Woodland, Winters Rotary, WFoL Board and Friends.
Your donations at bigdayofgiving.org/wfol will be doubled until we meet our match!
Give Matching Funds In Advance
Matching funds are an exciting way to increase the impact of your donation, to encourage others to donate, and promote WFoL’s mission. Matching Donations and Grants are given as checks in advance and used to encourage donations on Big Day of Giving. If you would like to to contribute matching funds, please contact Carol Scianna at email@example.com.
Create a Personal Fundraising Page to Share with Your Family and Friends
You can help WFoL raise funds for our library. It’s simple! Tell your story, set a goal, and then encourage your family and friends to support Winters Friends of the Library. The online donations from your personal WFOL fundraising page will be eligible for matching funds and possible prize boosters. Pages must be completed by May 4.
How can you give?
Schedule Your Donation in Advance Starting late April.
Are you worried about remembering to donate during the 24 hours, or not being in town? Not to worry,
- Starting date TBA, you may schedule a donation in advance at www.bigdayofgiving.org/wfol. The donation will be charged in the first hour on May 5, 2022.
Donate on May 5, 2022:
Starting at midnight May 5, donate online at bigdayofgiving.org/wfol
Donate at Mrs. Gildart’s Book Cart in the pocket park in downtown Winters from 4:30-7:30 pm/
Help us win big for Winters!
Did you know that participating in Big Day of Giving is the chance to win prizes and booster dollars? Each year there are a variety of prizes that donors or the organization can win to help serve our mission. Check this year’s prizes.
Don’t miss out on any updates or new events by signing-up for the WFoL email newsletter.
Contact the chair of the WFoL Big Day of Giving committee 2021 for more information or how you can participate. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Refer to the main website at www.bigdayofgiving.org for general questions about how Big Day of Giving works.
Want a quick snapshot of Winters Friends of the Library?
Since 1985 the Winters Friends of the Library has worked to support our library and lifelong learning opportunities for all members of our community. WFoL has:
- helped build a new library.
- supported access to technology, the actual computers and laptops, or better broadband to make it easier for people to connect and engage with resources when our library is open, and beyond library walls after hours. Have you seen the parking lot on evenings and weekends? For many people, free wifi access is crucial for their ability to apply for jobs, college, or access information they need to improve their lives.
- provided programs that help people engage with books, reading, cultural events, and creative ways to begin or continue learning for all ages.
- helped people engage with volunteering opportunities that lead to learning, new friendships, connections and collaboration with other organizations and businesses in our community.
- worked to provide alternate programs, online programming, and additional support during the pandemic.
And on Big Day of Giving we give our community a chance to engage in working together to improve our library and community right now and for future generations.
Sign-up below for our weekly Winters Friends of the Library email newsletter to get details about Winters Friends of the Library programs and Big Day of Giving related events.
Thank you for helping us show that though we may be a small volunteer group in a small community that working together we support literacy, our library, and lifelong learning for all members of our community!