Celebrate the season with the following programs held during the month of November at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
- November is Native American Heritage Month! All Yolo County Library branches will celebrate with displays highlighting the history and culture of the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation and recommended reading.
- November 2: Master Gardeners Public Workshop, 9:30 a.m. Learn how to care for your fruit trees and get ideas on which varieties work best in our area to prepare for the Winters Friends of the Library Spring 2020 Fruit Tree Sale. For more information, contact UC Master Gardeners-Yolo at (530) 666-8737 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continuing through November 3: Costume Contest. Enter to win a prize for the best costumes in Yolo County by 1) posting your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page (facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org) or Instagram page (instagram.com/yolocountylibrary) with the tag #yclcontest19 or 2) wearing your costume to your local library branch and asking a staff member to take your picture. Four winners will be selected by November 10 for a prize and recognition at their local library branch.Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
- November 4: Winters Friends of the Library Annual Membership Gathering with Guest Speaker Jeff Kubiak 6 pm. Link to details here.
- November 14: 10th anniversary of the Winters Community Library: from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m., located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters
- November 21: Aguas Frescas: Piñata Making! Come to the library to create your own piñata with help from staff. Refreshing homemade Aguas Frescas will be available to help fuel your creativity.
The following ongoing programs continue in November:
- Winters Community Library Teaching Garden: The School in Session Schedule to visit the garden is: Mondays: 3:30 to 6:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 3:30 to sundown; Wednesdays 1:30 to 6:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 3:30 p.m. to sundown; Saturdays: 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- 3D Printer Appointments Available: Sign up to use the 3D printer. Mondays: 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Wednesdays: 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Fridays: 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Saturdays: 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Contact the Library for more information.
- SUCCESS: Tuesdays andThursdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Tales for Tails:Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Needle Arts:1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:00 p.m.
- Winters Casual Cribbage Club: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Margaret Parson’s Room or the Quiet Reading Corner.
- Winters Origami Club: Last Tuesday of the month at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m. Note time change.
- NEW! Fiesta de Colores: An hour of arts and crafts on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Grupo de conversación en inglés / English Conversation Group: Jueves a las 6:00 p.m. / Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Libros y Chisme:2nd Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- Aguas Frescas: Last Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
NOTICES: On November 11 the Winters Community Library will be closed in observance of Veterans Day. The library will revert to the School Break schedule November 25-29 due to Thanksgiving Break and will be open as follows that week: Monday and Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Tuesday 12:00 to 8:00 p.m.; Thursday and Friday: closed; Saturday: 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.; Sunday: closed. The School In Session schedule resumes December 2.
Food for Fines & Pay It Forward: The Yolo County Library is offering residents and library card holders two opportunities to feed and support their communities this holiday season with ‘Food for Fines’ and ‘Pay It Forward.’
The Library’s annual “Food for Fines” program allows library card holders to clear $1 in overdue fines for each nonperishable food item donated at the circulation desk of any Yolo County Library location. The program runs November 4 through December 31 and there is no limit to the number of donations or reduction in fines cardholders can receive. Everyone is welcome to donate even if they do not have any overdue fines.
The Library’s ‘Pay It Forward’ program allows customers to donate money to help library card holders pay off their overdue fines. Donors will write a message on a star-shaped note that will be posted on a board behind the circulation desk for cardholders to redeem and lower their fines.
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see Events calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.
Banner photo by Rosemary Hemenway