Beat the heat with the following cool programs held during the month of July at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
• Summer Reading Program 2018: Reading Takes You Everywhere: May 20 – August 18: Sign up and get a free book! Choose your summer challenge: read 10 books, read for 10 hours, or read for 10 days. There will be activities, events, and prizes all summer long.
• Read off Your Fines: May 20 – August 18: The Read Off Your Fines campaign will be held in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Young adults and children (ages 17 and under) will be able to deduct $1.00 from their fines for every 15 minutes spent reading a book of their choice in the library and also use those minutes toward earning incentives in the Summer Reading Program.
• July 17: Multicultural Magic, 4:00 p.m. With help from the audience, Don O’Brien will demonstrate musical instruments from around the world including maracas from Mexico, castanets from Spain and goat hooves from Bolivia.
• July 18: Art and Turntables Remix, 2:00 p.m. Learn the magic behind blending songs and sounds together using turntables with Jose Vasquez and draw to the beat.
• July 25: Explorit: Amazing Animals, 2:00 p.m. Identify many different types of animals through the examination of specimens and live animals. Understand animal traits and characteristics and how they are adapted to their environments.
• July 30: Yolo Reads Tutor Orientation, 6:00 p.m. Become a tutor for Yolo Reads. It requires no experience, the hours are flexible, and Yolo Reads provides all necessary training and materials. For those interested, our next orientation will be held at the Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, July 30 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Yolo Reads supports literacy in Yolo County communities by providing free tutoring to English speaking adult learners who want to improve their reading, writing, spelling, and grammar skills. Learners receive one-on-one support from volunteer tutors, free materials, free computer use, and access to the Yolo County Library collections. For more information, contact us at (530) 666-8019 or at libraryvolunteer@yolocounty.
The following ongoing programs continue in July:
• Summertime SUCCESS: Thursdays at 12:00 p.m.
• Needle Arts: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:00 p.m.
• Libros y Chisme: 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
• Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
• Cursos de Ingles: Jueves a las 6:00 p.m.
• Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 11:00 a.m.
• Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Aguas Frescas: Last Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
• Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
• Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
NOTICES: Yolo County Library branches will be closed on July 4 in observance of Independence Day. On July 16, all Yolo County Library branches will only be open from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to an all staff meeting. The Winters Community Library will be on the following School Break Schedule through August 20:
• Mondays and Wednesdays: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays: 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Fridays and Saturdays: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Sundays: Closed
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events), or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/