News from the County Library – The following special programs will be held during the month of August at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
• Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot & Chromebooks. These are now available for check out. Contact the Winters Community Library for details.
• Summer Reading Program 2017: Reading By Design: May 26 – August 19. There’s still time to sign up for prizes, activities, and fun. Visit the library to join up and receive a free gift! Find out more at: www.yolocounty.org.
• Read off Your Fines!: May 26 – August 19. This year the Read Off Your Fines campaign will be held in conjunction with the Summer Reading Program. Young adults and children (ages 17 and under) will be able to deduct $1.00 from their fines for every 15 minutes spent reading a book of their choice in the library and also use those minutes toward earning incentives in the Summer Reading Program.
• August 1: Author Visit, 6:00 p.m. Author of Lucky Broken Girl, Ruth Behar will speak to tweens and their families about coming of age as a Cuban-Jewish immigrant in New York City.
• August 2: Gar(b)age Band, 2:00 p.m. Use found, recycled, and everyday objects to create your own instruments, then play and record the music. You provide the creativity, we provide the rest.
• August 4: DJ Tutti V and New Culture, 2:00 p.m. Master the magic behind blending songs and sounds together using turntables with Jose Vasquez of RISE, Inc. and learn how to draw to the beat with Jose Fierro from NewCultureCo.
The following ongoing programs continue in August:
• SUCCESS: Afterschool Homework Help on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30 p.m. starting August 10.
• Needle Arts: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 4:00 p.m.
• Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
• Literary Trails: Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. on August 2, then Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. starting August 9.
• Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
• Hora de Cuentos/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
• Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m. All movies are ‘Family Friendly’ (rated G or PG). Call the library for the title at (530) 795-4955.
NOTICES: The Winters Community Library is on the following School Break Schedule through August 20:
• Mondays and Wednesdays: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Tuesday and Thursdays: 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Fridays and Saturdays: 1:00 pm. to 5:00 p.m.
• Sundays: Closed
The Winters Community Library returns to the Extended Hours Schedule on August 21:
• Mondays and Wednesdays: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
• Fridays: 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• Saturdays: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Sundays: Closed
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.