Registration deadlines for two programs to help families in Yolo County are approaching quickly! See below for details on the Hot Spots and Online ESL programs and how to apply before September 25, 2020.
To help families access the internet to complete distance learning, Yolo County Library has purchased 100 hotspots with unlimited T-Mobile data plans that we will assign to select families for the 2020-21 school year.
We’d like to enlist your help to help us spread the word about this program. The following information has been attached for distribution in both English and Spanish. The deadline to apply is September 25, 2020.
Download the Longterm Hotspot Program PDF
· In order to participate, an applicant must have a minimum of one child enrolled in a school located in Yolo County.
· To participate, applicants need to call (530) 666-8009, Monday – Friday between 1-5 p.m. to apply for the program. The deadline to apply is September 25, 2020.
o If they call at another time, an applicant should leave a message and Library staff will return their call.
o We will be able to assist applicants in English and Spanish.
o If there is another language need, we will make arrangements to communicate with the applicant.
· An applicant is not required to have a Yolo County Library card. If this is the case, we will send them an application.
· We will not collect documentation from applicants, they will self-certify as to their circumstances.
We will use the following ranked criteria to select families for this program (1 is the highest need, 4 is the lowest need):
1. The applicant does not have internet connectivity where they live.
2. The applicant has a hotspot issued by a school from a service provider other than T-Mobile, and the device signal is very weak or nonexistent where they live.
3. The applicant has more than one child enrolled in a school located in Yolo County.
4. The applicant and/or their children are English language learners.
Basic ESL for Rural Caregivers
Starting in late September, Yolo County Library will offer an online Basic ESL class. The class, which will be held on the Zoom platform, will consist of 10 meetings, along with phone support for students. Textbooks and materials are included and will be provided by mail or pickup at the Winters Community Library. Thanks to the support of the Winters Friends of the Library, the class is free to attend.
The course is taught by a certified ESL instructor and is designed for parents and grandparents of school age or younger children. More information is available by calling Nancy Pacheco, Yolo Reads Coordinator, at 530-666-8019. Space is limited and registration is required. Se habla Español.