Treat the family with the following fall programs held during the month of October at Yolo County’s Winters Community Library, located at 708 Railroad Avenue in Winters:
- Continuing through October 15: Latinx Heritage Month. Learn about the histories, cultures and contributions of Americans whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America with our bibliography and display.
- October 12: Community Library Teaching Garden Open House, 1:00 p.m. Join us to celebrate the new Teaching Garden at the library. Yolo County Master Gardeners will be on hand to answer your gardening questions and to share information about pollinators. There will be special activities for kids that include a story time and a special gardening craft. Light refreshments will be served.
- October 12: Community Writes: Free Writing Workshop for Adults and Teens, 2:00 p.m. Visit the library for a day to learn, laugh, and play with words. Pen and paper will be provided. This program is sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library in conjunction with Indie Author Day.
- October 19: Puppet Making and Storytelling (in Spanish and English), 12:30 p.m. Have fun making puppets with your children! Participants will receive a free book and puppet making materials. Space is limited to twenty participants so please register with Nancy.Pacheco@yolocounty.org to secure a spot.
- October 26: Movie: Toy Story 4, 2:00 p.m. Enjoy a family movie together.
- October 28 – November 3: Costume Contest. Enter to win a prize for the best costumes in Yolo County by 1) posting your own costume picture on the Yolo County Library Facebook page (facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org) or Instagram page (instagram.com/yolocountylibrary) with the tag #yclcontest19 or 2) wearing your costume to your local library branch and asking a staff member to take your picture. Four winners will be selected by November 10 for a prize and recognition at their local library branch.Remember to “like” the Yolo County Library on Facebook to see the final winners!
- October 29: Dia De Los Muertos, 6:00 p.m. Join the library for a fun evening to honor the ancestors with music, guest speakers, sugar skull decorating, nail art, face painting, and antojitos (light snacks and refreshments). We welcome the public to place offerings of flowers, photographs, bread, and other symbolic offerings for loved ones who have passed away on our community altar.
- October 31: Aguas Frescas: Halloween Spooktacular, 6:00 p.m. Come and enjoy fun games, face painting and scary stories. Aguas Frescas and other light refreshments will be served.
The following ongoing programs continue in October:
- Winters Community Library Teaching Garden: The School in Session Schedule to visit the garden is: Mondays: 3:30 to 6:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 3:30 p.m. to sundown; Wednesdays 1:30 to 6:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 3:30 p.m. to sundown; Saturdays: 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- 3D Printer Appointments Available: Sign up to use the 3D printer. Mondays: 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.; Tuesdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Wednesdays: 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Thursdays: 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.; Fridays: 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.; Saturdays: 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Contact the Library for more information.
- SUCCESS: Tuesdays andThursdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Tales for Tails:Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m.
- Needle Arts:1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month at 4:00 p.m.
- Winters Casual Cribbage Club: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. in the Margaret Parson’s Room or the Quiet Reading Corner.
- Winters Origami Club: Last Tuesday of the month at 5:00 p.m.
- Family Story Time: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Literary Trails: Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m.
- NEW! Fiesta de Colores: An hour of arts and crafts on Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Grupo de conversación en inglés/English Conversation Group: Jueves a las 6:00 p.m. / Thursdays at 6:00 p.m.
- Libros y Chisme:2nd Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
- Aguas Frescas: Last Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
- Hora de Cuentas/Bi-lingual Story Time: Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Sponsored by First 5 Yolo.
- Lego Block Party: 2nd Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
- Family Movie: Last Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m.
NOTICES: The Winters Community Library continues the Extended Hours Schedule:
- Mondays and Wednesdays: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday and Thursdays: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Fridays: 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Sundays: Closed
On October 14, the Winters Community Library will only be open from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. due to a Yolo County Library all staff meeting and Winters Joint Unified School District’s Professional Development Day.
Except where noted, all programs are sponsored by the Winters Friends of the Library, are free to attend, and no registration is required. For more information, contact library staff at (530) 795-4955, visit the Yolo County Library at: www.yolocountylibrary.org (see Events calendar for Winters Community Library-specific events) or connect with the Yolo County Library on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/yolocountylibrary.org.)
Thanks to Yolo County Library staff for this article.